Breath-taking views of the snowy Fagaras mountains
One of the most spectacular cable cars in Romania
Dramatic winter scenery at over 2000 meters of altitude
Visit the fabulous ice hotel at lake Balea
Visit a 13th century old Cistercian Gothic monastery
What's included, what's not
Pick up and drop off at your accommodation in Brasov
Transport by air conditioned / heated vehicle
English speaking licensed guide
Cable car tickets (refundable if the cable car doesn't operate due to bad weather conditions)
Entrance fee to Carta Cistercian monastery
Warm drink (hot tea, mulled wine)
Entrance fee to Fagaras fortress
Other personal expenses
Know Before You Book
Please keep in mind that the cable car only operates with at least 10 people and only in good weather conditions. We cannot guarantee that it will work when you arrive at the cable car station. In case you are not able to go up, you will be partially refunded.
Weather in the mountains can suddenly change and you might not be able to take the cable car back to base. In case the situation involves an overnight stay at the hut, you need to pay for the accommodation.
We are not responsible for any loss or damage or missed flights due to bad weather conditions. By participating in the tour, you agree with these rules.
What you can expect
Discover the Transfagarasan road, one of the best driving roads in the world, in this epic winter day trip from Brasov. You will take the cable car up to Balea lake and marvel at the scenery from up the mountains.
- Your guide will pick you up early in the morning from your accommodation in Brasov.
- After about two hours of driving, you will arrive at an altitude of 1200 meters, at the lower cable car station on the Transfagarasan road. From here, the road is closed during the winter, so the only way of going up to Balea lake is by taking the cable car.
- After parking the vehicle, you will enter the cable car together with your guide. The route goes from 1200 meters to 2040 meters in 3,7 kilometres.
- On your way up, make sure you are staying near the windows to capture stunning shots of the valley beneath you.
- Once you get up, take a deep breath of fresh mountain air and feel free to explore the area. See the magnificent ice hotel or just take a walk through the snow. When you're hungry, go inside one of the huts for a tasty lunch.
- When you are done, you will go back to base by cable car.
- From there, continue to the village of Carta, to see an old Cistercian monastery, built around the 13th century in a Gothic style.
- On you way back to Brasov, if there is time, you can visit the beautiful Fagaras fortress, built in the 14th century as one of the strongest fortifications in Transylvania.
- Once you get back to Brasov, your guide will drop you off at your accommodation in Brasov.
*Please keep in mind that the cable car can depart with at least 10 people and only in good weather conditions. If you cannot take the cable car due to bad weather, you will be partially refunded.
Download the ebookers app and make the most of your trip
- Profit! You earn more BONUS+ in the app than on desktop
- Get real-time travel updates, such as gate changes and flight delays
- View upcoming trip details, hotel address information and get maps for directions